Skip Hudson has a wide variety of formal training and experience that allow him to successfully provide social and emotional teaching, as well as a variety of other life-skill related training. He spent over 30 years as an engineer, which provided a platform for scientific and logical exploration of self and of organizations. He also practiced and taught meditation during that same period. Skip has practical experience as a business owner and president of a non-profit. He has over 16 years of youth and young adult mentoring experience in a wide variety of settings, both group and individual.
Skip’s mentoring experience revealed that all people have limited training in dealing with social and emotional issues. He is passionate about guiding people and organizations to being at ease. Skip has two qualifications related to Mindful Self-Compassion:
- Trained Teacher of “Mindful Self-Compassion”
- Trained Teacher of “Making Friends with Yourself” (Teen MSC)
Skip is also the author of Matt the Flying Rat, an early ready book conveying messages for youth related to self-belief, resiliency, and focus.
Education & Training
Skip Hudson completed the following educational and training programs:
- Transcendental Meditation. In 1980, Skip Hudson was formally trained in Transcendental Meditation, and he has been practicing a wide variety of meditation techniques ever since.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE), Michigan Technological Engineering, 1984
- Instructor Training + Conflict Resolution Training + Working in Teams Training, Federal Highway Administration, 1996.
- Ananda Course in Self Realization. In 2003, Skip completed this extensive course from Ananda Sangha through private instruction and self-study. The course provided practical tools to address many common problems and conditions of daily life. Yogananda was the author of Autobiography of a Yogi, and he introduced the West to a simple program for transforming every aspect of one’s life through mindfulness and meditative practices.
- Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC) Intensive Retreat – 5 day. Michelle Becker and Pittman McGehee were the instructors for the retreat in Cat Springs Texas, December 2014.
- MSC Teacher Training Retreat – 6 day. The original MSC Workshop developers – Chris Germer, Kristin Neff, Michelle Becker, and Steve Hickman, led the course. It occurred at Garrison New York in August 2015. The Mindfulness-Based Professional Training Institute (MBPTI) of the University of California San Diego (UCSD) Center for Mindfulness provided this training.
- MSC Teacher Training Consultations. In the fall of 2015, Skip completed 11 hours of on-line consultations with an MSC teacher trainer and other teachers. The Mindfulness-Based Professional Training Institute (MBPTI) of the University of California San Diego (UCSD) Center for Mindfulness provided this training.
- Bridging the Hearts and Minds of Youth Conference, UCSD Center for Mindfulness in San Diego, California. Skip attended all days of the conferences in 2015 & 2016.
- Making Friends with Yourself (MFY) Teacher Training. The original MFY Workshop developers, Karen Bluth and Lorraine Hobbs, led this very first version of this course. It occurred at San Diego, California in April 2016. The Mindfulness-Based Professional Training Institute (MBPTI) of the University of California San Diego (UCSD) Center for Mindfulness provided this training.
Skip has the following experience in related topics:
- Partners Organization, Grand Junction, CO. Partners is similar to the Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization, and Skip served as an individual youth mentor from 2003 to present. Skip also developed a unique and original program called the “Power Hour.” This was a monthly gathering for groups of at-risk youth and he ran this program for three years (2005-2007). It successfully focused on building self-esteem and it utilized active learning in a group setting to develop life skills for youth of all ages.
- TurnKey Consulting LLC. Skip is the founder and President of this civil engineering consulting company. Established in 2006, TurnKey Consulting offers professional services related to land development and community planning type projects, including project management, program development and management, long-range planning, site feasibility and impact assessments, public and agency participation programs, and the acquisition of local, state, and federal approvals. Skip’s specialty is traffic engineering and transportation planning.
- The Tree House, Grand Junction, CO. Skip served as an advisor to the Board of Directors on this non-profit organization in 2008-2009. This was a homeless youth shelter, after school program, and social services referral agency.
- Rocky Mountain Health Plans (RMHP) Employee Wellness Program, Grand Junction, CO. Skip served as the sole meditation instructor for up to 40 participants per event. This comprehensive mind-body-spirit based wellness program for 400 employees provided weekly guided meditation classes in 2011.
- Young Entrepreneurs Academy (YEA) Grand Junction Colorado. Skip served as the Lead Instructor of this annual 30-week program from 2013 to 2015. The local chamber of commerce in over 90 communities administered this program. It was intended to help youth age 11-18 understand the elements of successful business ventures, and to start their own businesses. In addition to standard business skills like written and verbal communication, this program builds skills in confidence, self-esteem, time/task management, and working in teams or groups.
- Testicular Cancer Awareness Foundation (TCAF), Grand Junction, CO. Skip served as an advisor to the Executive Director since the non-profit started in 2010. He was a board member for two years (2014-2015) and served as President of the Board of Directors for one year (2015).
- Skip Hudson LLC. Skip is the founder and President of this company established in 2016. Skip Hudson LLC offers services related to social and emotional teaching, as well as a variety of other life-skill related training.