Session 1: Discovering Mindful Self-Compassion
- Start Close In By David Whyte
- Just For Me by Ana Villalobos (MSC Workshop Graduate)
What if a poem were just for me?
What if I were audience enough because I am,
Because this person here is alive, is flesh,
Is conscious, has feelings, counts?
What if this one person mattered not just for what
She can do in the world
But because she is part of the world
And has a soft and tender heart?
What if that heart mattered,
if kindness to this one mattered?
What if she were not distinct from all others,
But instead connected to others in her sense of being distinct, of being alone,
Of being uniquely isolated, the one piece removed from the picture—
All the while vulnerable under, deep under, the layers of sedimentary defense.
Oh let me hide
Let me be ultimately great,
Remove me, then I don’t have to…be…
But I am.
Through all the antics of distinctness from others, or not-really-there-ness, I remain
No matter what my disguise—
Genius, idiot, gloriousness, scum—
Underneath, it’s still just me, still here,
Still warm and breathing and human
With another chance simply to say hi, and recognize my tenderness
And be just a little bit kind to this one as well,
Because she counts, too.
Session 2: Practicing Mindfulness
- Awareness by John Astin
- Unconditional by Jennifer Welwood
Session 3: Practicing Loving-Kindness
- Kindness by Naomi Shihab Nye
- Beannacht – A Blessing by John O’Donahue
Session 4: Discovering Your Compassionate Voice
- The Journey by Mary Oliver
- The Velveteen Rabbit (excerpt) by Margery Williams
Session 5: Living Deeply
- The Way It Is by William Stafford
- One Morning by Rosemerry Wahtola Trommer
Session 6: Meeting Difficult Emotions
- The Guest House by Rumi
- Allow by Danna Faulds
- Wild Geese By Mary Oliver
Peter Meyer singing “Japanese Bowls” video
Session 7: Exploring Challenging Relationships
- With That Moon Language by Daniel Ladinsky (2002),
- inspired by Hafiz, 14th century Persian mystic
- Awakening Rights by Mark Nepo
- Compassion by Miller Williams
Talking Twin Babies video:
Session 8: Embracing Your Life
- The Word by Tony Hoagland
- A Return to Love (excerpt), by Marianne Williamson
- Love after Love by Derek Walcott
How my Son Ruined My Life – And My Life is Truly Blessed video